Sunday, November 4, 2012

Chapter 10, Question 3


A concept that I found interesting in this week’s reading was the role of television advertising and its effect on children. As a child, I used to watch a lot of television and based off of the advertisements during commercials from my favorite tv show I would select my Christmas presents. I would make my wish lists to Santa based off of the latest toys for girls. Children ages 8-12 are especially vulnerable to ads that play on their need for peer acceptance. What the reading meant by this was that if you see your friends with something or the kids in the ads on TV look super excited for the new toy, it is going to make you want it. The average child watches around 4 hours of television a day, according to the book. However, I feel that now children watch way more television than they did back in 2010 due to the fact that children are eating more sugary foods and becoming obese due to the lack of physical activity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment