Sunday, September 9, 2012

chapter 8, Question 3


A concept that I enjoyed reading about was in “The Essential Guide to Group Communication.” Chapter 3 discussed leadership and decision making in groups and teams. There are four different types of leadership when working in groups or teams: authoritarian, consultative, participative, and laissez-faire. I thought that this would be a good concept to read about because of the fact that there are different types of leadership, others try to take complete control of the situation, but sometimes people need to be able to step down in order to allow room for others to step up to the plate. An authoritarian leader makes decisions for the group without asking for the group consent first. Consultative leadership means that the group directly communicates with the group and makes a final decision. Participative leadership is when there really isn’t a clear leader in the group since all team members work together as partners in order to achieve a common goal. A laisezz-faire leader is when a leader basically leaves everything up to the group and doesn’t really have direct contact with the group. I think the most effective type of leadership for this upcoming paper would be to have shared leadership amongst the members of the group. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey there SigmaLove, I too liked the information about leadership and decision making that they gave us in “The Essential Guide to Group Communication.” Before reading this chapter it never came to mind to me that there were many different types of leadership. I just thought that there could only be one type of leader and that would be the one that tells the followers what to do. Now I know though that there are four different types of leadership which will certainly help me understand group communication. So every time I go talk to my friends or family it will be interesting to me to see what kind of leader they will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SigmaLove, I also really like this concept in "The Essential Guide to Group Communication." It helped me to understand the different positions of leadership. I did not really get the fact that there could be different types of leadership until I read this chapter. I just figured that a leader was a leader and took most of the responsibilities and delegated. I tend to try and be that person in groups and I like to make sure all tasks are completed. But, I realized, from this chapter and from our group project, that leadership come in many different forms and we have to be sensitive and aware of our group members because they have so much to contribute.

    ReplyDelete